Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dubai Ultimate Charity Event

DUCE- taking ultimate frisbee to an extreme level of competition.  Our school hosts this enormous event and helped raised over 9,000 AED for a number of different groups.  My group was for our Week Without Walls (WWW) 8th Grade Trip to N. Thailand, where this money would help buy socks and shoes for the children of the Karen Village as well as building supplies that a group of my middle school students would soon be helping to build a wall around their school grounds. 
We had an early start to a long day of nothing but frisbee and a bbq.   Rather than playing on the team of teachers from ASD I played with my Tuesday/Saturday night frisbee group- The Geckos.  This crew is made of a bunch of people who do not work at ASD, but are very fun and rather competitive. They take frisbee to a whole new level -nothing like the club days at Eau Claire. 


Watchin the games with Led, Kingsley, and Patrick
I enjoy the running around bits, but these people are highly skilled at this game of frisbee- with strategy and even plays to run. We played a number of games and then during the break I played in the not so competitive hat tournament which was another 4 games of fun frisbee.  My WWW kids did a fabulous job working the bbq table selling burgers left and right and there was even a lady there selling bagels from the US- they were spectacular.  Afterwards the tournament resumed and our Red Gecko Team  ended up third, I thought we played very well.  We got out before the final round, but it was a good game.  In the end it was a great day, but I certainly was excited to go home, shower, and then meet Katie out at Loca for some great Mexican dinner and an endless night of Margaritas!!



No comments:

Post a Comment