Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mt. Kilimanjaro- Africa









The rest of the time I was in Tanzania I hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro. It was not a very hard trek, slow inclines and at a Shalene pace of super slow- but the altitude nearly killed me. At day 3 I was at the final base camp before you summit, but had to turn back. I hadn't eaten in over a day and what I had eaten was very little simply because I had no appetite- (which is highly unnatural since I LOVE food but it could have been from the mix of medications I was taking to try and avoid the dizziness and yuck feeling that high altitude gives you along with the menu choice...I just wasn't feeling it).

First Night.... First Hut..... Feeling Spectacular











 

My last night in the hut, I was up all night vomiting up what little was even in my stomach- and even woke up my sleeping neighbors since I couldn't even get the hut door open- not fun. So the next morning rather than summiting I played it safe and began my hike back down...throwing up the entire way. My guide even assisted me with this, was something I have never experienced before- someone assisting you as you throw up- also not fun. 


My last day of feeling good......


Eventually I began to feel better, although it took another 24 hours for me to fully recover. Even the car park for Mt. Kilimanjaro was at a higher altitude than what I have ever been at. Note to self: Altitude and I are not friends.

The sights on the hike were simply breathtaking and I loved being all alone out on the side of a ginormous mountain, with nothing but my thoughts to keep me company. Here I was in the middle of December trekking along simply enjoying all the little moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment